"In [Lenin's Theses on the National and Colonial Questions] there were political terms that were difficult to understand. But by reading them again and again finally I was able to grasp the essential part. What emotion, enthusiasm, enlightenment and confidence they communicated to me! I wept for joy. Sitting by myself in my room, I would shout as if I were addressing large crowds: "Dear martyr compatriots! This is what we need, this is our path to liberation!" Since then (the 1920s) I had entire confidence in Lenin, in the Third International!" -Ho Chi Minh
And he has the same confidence to this day:
Ho Chi Minh's embalmed corpse gets a three month holiday to Russia for yearly maintenance, so the mausoleum is closed from September through early December. - Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia
But embalmed Ho Chi Minh should be careful in Moscow as there have been four attempts at destroying embalmed Lenin.
- March 19th, 1934: a man tried to shoot embalmed Lenin, but the guards' quick reaction resulted in the perpetrator shooting himself.
- March 20th, 1959: a man threw a hammer at Lenin. The hammer broke the glass encasement, but Lenin's body was not harmed.
- July 14th, 1960: a man broke the glass encasement with his foot and the shards damaged Lenin's skin.
- September 1st, 1973: a man detonated a homemade bomb in the masoleum killing himself and injuring several visitors, but not Lenin.
So shot at and bombed... it's not easy being embalmed and on display in Russia. But who throws a hammer? Honestly!
2 comments:
a hammer is easier to conceal than a sickle, n'est pas?
We have an old joke. A man comitted suiside by schooting himself with a gun.
-Where did he get a gun?
( Not why?)
That's why a hammer.
Post a Comment