Today I walked from my hotel in Sihlcity to Bahnhof Straße. Then up and down Bahnhof Straße with all it's expensive watch and jewelry stores. Then to Fraumünster and across the bridge to Grossmünster where I explored the church and the dungeon (I'll climb to the top tomorrow). Then all the way down along the lake shore to the Chinese garden, though I didn't go into the garden itself. Then back up by the churches to a restaurant called Zeughauskeller by Paradeplatz. And afterward all the way back to the hotel. I'm so tired that I'm going to go to sleep once I finish this post.
The lakeside I imagine is much prettier on a sunny day, but it was still a very enjoyable walk. It was fun observing the people around: groups of teens hanging out, lots of couples walking hand in hand, young people enjoying a bottle of champagne, two teenage girls smoking a joint (yup, still in Zürich) and of course plenty of Russian conversations...
(Nick - I failed to find the teacup fountain, so you'll have to come back here with me to track it down.)
Zeughauskeller restaurant is decorated like an armory, which was fun. I had a dark beer called Dunkle Perle and beef in cream of mushroom sauce with rösti (which are basically hashbrowns). It was very Swiss and yummy.
The lakeside I imagine is much prettier on a sunny day, but it was still a very enjoyable walk. It was fun observing the people around: groups of teens hanging out, lots of couples walking hand in hand, young people enjoying a bottle of champagne, two teenage girls smoking a joint (yup, still in Zürich) and of course plenty of Russian conversations...
(Nick - I failed to find the teacup fountain, so you'll have to come back here with me to track it down.)
Zeughauskeller restaurant is decorated like an armory, which was fun. I had a dark beer called Dunkle Perle and beef in cream of mushroom sauce with rösti (which are basically hashbrowns). It was very Swiss and yummy.
I find it a little disturbing how used to NYC I am. First of all with the exception of Bahnhof Straße there are very few people on the street. Second of all lots of stores start closing around 4pm on Saturday. Third of all in parts the city is uncomfortably clean. Overall Zürich reminds me of Prague, but more Swiss :).
"A happy fantasy land" indeed.
1 comment:
Thank you Olen'ka!!!
Post a Comment