Sunday, December 20, 2009

Plötzlich!

One of my most favorite German words, which I just encountered on the first page of the book I'm reading!

On Friday when I got to my parents' house, I opened one of my Christmas presents. (Yes that's right people, I opened a present before Christmas!) I knew what it was going to be too, because I'd asked for it. A book in German.

My mom's school friend who lives in Germany came to visit my parents in December, which was a convenient way for my parents to get me my German books. I'm starting to wish she hadn't come... I opened one of three books and it was 'Das Experiment'. This is good in that I've seen the movie and bad in that it's not written for 5-year-olds, which is about the level of my rusty German right now.

Have I set myself up for complete failure or just regular failure? :)

...

I hope the other two books are children's books.

1 comment:

Jon said...

For the sake of your friends who read German at the level of an illiterate 2 year old, you should have translated your favorite word! :)

Also, the about.com translation page's first example sentence seems kind of sexist:

Plötzlich war Hillary Clinton den Tränen nah.
Suddenly Hillary Clinton was close to tears.