Thursday, March 05, 2009

A glimpse of the past

I went to BOOM today followed by a dinner with some faculty and students for Google. Walking around Cornell campus was very weird. A sense of familiarity and belonging thrown off balance by subtle changes that indicate the time that has passed. Tons of memories of JOK and JOk in the Duffield atrium working hard ... on crossword puzzles :). I really do miss that!

Ok, there was one not so subtle change.
[If you're my mother or want to skip this digression stop reading now.]
The girls bathroom in Upson was always my favorite, because no one ever goes in there like most other girls bathrooms in the engineering buildings. There was a baby seat in the handicap stall where I would always put my bag. So I'm walking in there today, following my old footsteps - total force of habit. I open the door, walk in and realize I'm in a completely different place. It was totally renovated! Brand new! All blue! With twice as many stalls... not sure why that's needed. Complete clash with the old, worn down Upson hallways.
[Recommence reading.]

And it's only been a year in a half.

Nice to see familiar face both faculty and staff. I'm still in complete awe (and fear) of Prof. Bobby Kleinberg. Met some new minions of the 312 course staff. Apparently Ed is now called "The Olga" as Dan (aka Prof. Huttenlocher) explained to me. Also, Tyler's left a legacy as the course staff still orders from "Taste of Thai". Dan's making come to the grading session tomorrow under the condition that I have to grade to eat.

2 comments:

C said...

you were in upson and didn't stop by to see me...sad. :-(

isn't the new bathroom in upson amazing?! did you try the dyson hand dryer?

O said...

I had to socialize at BOOM :(, but I'll try to stop by today or tomorrow.

No I have not tried the hand dryer. It was a little intimidating, but I'll be on campus today so I'll gather my courage ;).