On Wednesday there was a post on Greg Mankiw's Blog called Lefties' Leg Up. One of the comments to this post lead me to a site called Right Hand Left Hand that has a couple of test on it.
The first test is called Line Bisection Test. Here are my results:
People with damage to their right parietal lobe often show neglect of the left half of the visual world, so that the rectangle will be bisected far to the right of the centre. Normal people without parietal lobe damage oftern show the opposite effect, so-called 'pseudo-neglect'. The rectangle typically being bisected slightly to the left of the centre.
NeglectPseudo-neglect
On average you placed your centre 50.52% of the way along the rectangle, 1.03% to the Right of the exact centre.
The second test is called Attentional Test. This is a timed test where you see a picture of a bunch of stars and have to find the small one as fast as you can.
I took the test 5 times and calculated my average over the trials.People with damage to their right parietal lobe often find it difficult to pay attention to the left half of their visual world, a condition called 'visual neglect'.I guess that means I have slight damage to my right parietal lobe. Luckily, I don't know what the parietal lobe does, so I don't miss it. But I think I know a certain someone who dropped me on my head...
People without brain damage often show the opposite effect, a slight tendency to pay more attention to the left half of the visual world, so-called 'pseudo-neglect'. As a result they are a little faster at detecting objects on the left than on the right.
Your average reaction time was 1.83 seconds for stars on the left and 1.61 seconds for stars on the right.


3 comments:
for what it's worth, you found the little stars much faster than I did and our bisection scores were nearly identical. Which I think means that it's a slow day in Syracuse.
people forget that I am left handed too until I sit next to them at dinner...
anyway, have you noticed that all the most interesting people are left handed?
interestingly, a list of contemporary famous persons who are left-handed was just published on yahoo.
it included Oprah and Will Ferrell.
Post a Comment