Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Genie

A couple months ago at some social co-worker gathering or other, someone asked what would you wish for if you could make one wish to a genie?

I immediately replied LOTS 'O MONEY, but I swear I meant that I would use it to travel and see the world!

OK, I admit, we were watching Aladdin and singing along to all the songs at this gathering...

5 comments:

Steve Miller said...

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to wish for more wishes.

O said...

Ok, but what do you wish for after the Genie tells you that you can't wish for more wishes?

... said...

Next time rent grease that's a good one to sing along to

Jon said...

Yeah... I always thought that if ever faced with a decision like this I would have to go with some infinite wish loophole wish, rather than for any one thing. For example:

1. Wish for more wishes
2. Wish for the ability to grant your own wishes
3. Wish for all your future wishes to come true
4. Wish for a genie that grants more than one wish

Etc, etc. My brain just won't let me play this game without trying for an optimal solution...

A better variant might be a genie that can only grant "realistic" wishes, or stuff that might otherwise happen by chance or human effort. Off the top of my head, I wish for the insight to solve all the great unsolved problems in science (starting with P=NP!).

O said...

Jon,

C'mon, have more faith in us. You, K and I should totally just sit down one day and see if we can solve the P != NP once and for all. We haven't tried yet :).

Maybe we should invite little k as well, he's the one going for a PhD.