Thursday, January 01, 2009

Oranges and lemons from 1984

Just finished 1984, which somehow passed me by in high school.
"Oranges and lemons", say the bells of St. Clement's
"You owe me five farthings", say the bells of St. Martin'
"When will you pay me?" say the bells of Old Bailey
"When I grow rich", say the bells of Shoreditch
"When will that be?" say the bells of Stepney
"I do not know", says the great bell of Bow
Here comes a candle to light you to bed
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
Most everyone I've talked to about 1984 v. Brave New World, seem to favor the latter. And maybe this is just me being stubborn and wanting to like the underdog, but I could relate a lot more to 1984. The tone of the book reminds me of Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon, which I though was great.

Digression: I heart Darkness at Noon was that the author's first name is Arthur. Yay for searching for "list of authors". :) Boo for my bad memory of authors, book titles and character names.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Meh, I thought Brave New World was sort of overrated, but I read it awhile ago... Still haven't gotten around to 1984.

O said...

Well now that you're good and biased, I'll let you borrow 1984 when I get back.